Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wish Kids were born with an instruction manual

Wouldn’t all the mothers out there agree with this? We evolve and grow as mothers, we learn with time how to deal with problems and situations, wouldn’t it be great if we could do it right the first time?

I have never been able to figure out the right approach. Combined with this are the pressures from all these so called physiatrists, for you never know 10 yrs down the line they’ll relate my by then adult Child’s mental state to how he was brought up or treated as a child. OMG!! I do not want be held responsible for how my children deal with situations when they grow up!!

My current trauma is related to a situation my younger son is facing in his class. A typical “Bully in the class” issue, who is not willing to include my son in his “GANG”, a strong word for an 8 year old don’t you think?? As a mother I am left with two choices, not to interfere and let him learn to deal with his own problems or to interfere and follow a course less known to me. I choose the initial, not because it’s the best but because it is the easiest. I just gave him a little gyan about being strong and letting go of people who do not wish to be his friends.

To my disappointment the problem does not disappear, it only grows and stares me in my face. If only it could vanish in thin air!! What to do I wondered, How do men handle such situations? With many unanswered questions I retire to bed, only to wake up at 4am with unruly memories of my childhood. Isolation was known to me. As a child I had faced it many times. Ridicule was my friendly demon…it rarely left me in my childhood. I was a fairly easy target…an Indian in a British Colonial School in Africa. To top it up was my accent, my nicely oiled braids, my lunch time “Muli Ka Paratha” and my hairy legs. With little support system at home I was left to deal with it myself. I had a tough time getting accepted but I figured my way out. For sure I had to get rid of all my Indianness in fact sometimes I had to go a step further to prove my so called Westerness. Unable to get any sleep I finally woke up with a resolve to help my son.

Now the biggest challenge lay ahead, How to help this child? Should I talk to the teacher, should I talk to the “bully”, or should I talk to his mother? At 5 in the morning I had only one option, to write to the teacher. With help from my husband we pinned down the sternest letter we could. It read more like a threat than parents requesting for teachers intervention. Well it did it’s work. The teacher summoned the little one in question and threatened them with dire consequences. Even his mother was called in, I can only imagine what was told to her. Honestly, I was quite embarrassed with the attention this incident drew and the way it was handled. But being a mother the joy of seeing my son happy far superseded any feelings of guilt.

I don’t know if this was the right thing to do or not or how this incident will impact his behavior. Will he become strong or weak, dependent or independent only time will tell…that’s why I say “I wish children were born with a guide book”

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did the right thing Manisha. In the world today growing up for kids is really tough. The not only have the pressure of studies but societal pressure is something parents have overlooked for years. Anything you can do to help them is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Mala-Hats off to You!You did the right thing. Our kids look up to us for support and in times like these when theyre so vulnerable,taking the easy way out is not an option...I think this will make your son understand that he can count on his parents!And thsi will help you guys out in the long run!
    BTW your Michael Jackson piece was Tres Bien!
    Continue The good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally feel this should be the last time you help your son for his class mates/friends matter let him solve the matters on his own. just guide him what is wrong & right, Do not make him a Mama's Boy. Let him face the world brvely & confidently, like what his parents did. The only thing which we can impart in our Kids is Confidence & Good values which our parents did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think it was the most civilized thing a parent could do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completely agree with what u did ....i would have done the same thing if i were u ....our children can fight their own battles when they grow uo like all ov us !!!1 and yes i also keeps saying that wish there was a handbook with each child !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "What is right and what is wrong" is quite difficult to judge.It is very debatable-which you have done so! So it works best when you do what your "gut feel" tells you to do in that instance..which again you have done!
    Its been very aptly put and its great you're sharing it with friends.Its quite a consolation to realise that this is a common thing that happens in almost every child's "phase of life". So dear friend keep them coming...im sure we're all in for a whole lot more of interesting reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Manisha,

    SOOOO proud of you!!!! all i know is there is no right or wrong way of doing things, it seems like you went with your gut feeling , almost all of the time it guides you the right way !!!
    Way to go SIL !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great discussion Manisha!

    Wow!! I didn't know about your writing skills....very interesting, engaging and humorous! Keep it up...and I am now officially a follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Manisha...Tat was cute
    u followed ur insticnts and did (after a lot of debate) what u thought was fitting the situation. and tats wat makes the heart happy! So, cheers!! God Bless...Rinku

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, what a catch 22 situation..both the sides seem right..but the fact that you followed your instinct is great! funny that it resonates with an incident that happened with me..was 5 years old used to play with 'girls' from the neighborhood on the slides..one day they simply wouldnt play with me..ganged up against me..i cried all the way home. My mom couldnt see her daughter's tears, came along with me to "talk" with the group..and she did..resultant they 'allowed' me to play..but till date wished she had atleast given me the 'pep' talk about standing up for yoursel fand atleast once asked me to go and talk to them myself. The ridicule that followed afterwards haunted my little 5 year psyche for a long time...but also found solace in the fact that i could turn to her in times of problem...guess there is the paradox...funny how conflicting human emotions are...
    Am glad though that the incident got solved, your anxiety was very palpable..wonder how it will when i have my own kids, guess thats why i have subscribed successfully to your blog...that will be my instructional manual..

    WAY TO GO!! keep writing more...loved it..!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would reccommend Gullu approach - call the parents home - daru pillao while Zubin and kabir set the kid right in the kids room !

    ReplyDelete